Cranberry Whiskey Smash Cocktail
Throughout the holiday season, we find ourselves entertaining and celebrating with friends and family. Inevitably after a grand feast, I end up with leftover cranberry sauce. In an effort not to be wasteful, I’ve found creative uses for the tart and tangy sauce such as spreading it on turkey sandwiches, throwing it into smoothies, and even placing it on top of a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream on occasion.
This year I came up with a new and exciting way to blow through all the leftover cranberry sauce at once with a fabulous cocktail! Though I’m not a big whiskey fan, I found this libation to flow quite smoothly once you get beyond the initial ‘bite’ of the first sip…
I use my own homemade cranberry sauce recipe, but any quality store-bought version should do for this festive party drink.
For the original Whiskey Smash recipe, please see the book ‘In The Land Of Cocktails, Recipes & Adventures From The Cocktail Chicks’ available in our Le Voov! Store.
Cranberry Whiskey Smash
- ½ cup of quality fresh cranberry sauce (May want to use a sauce accented with orange just for fun!)
- 1 cup of cranberry juice, unsweetened if possible
- 3 – 4 shots of Kentucky bourbon whiskey such as Maker’s Mark or Bulleit
- 1 shot orange Curacao Liqueur or Cointreau
- Place cranberry sauce in the bottom of shaker and muddle until fully pulverized. Add cranberry juice, bourbon, and orange liqueur along with some crushed ice, and allow the puree to mingle with the liquor fully by shaking with vigor!
- Pour the crimson bliss into a highball bar glass filled with crushed ice.
- Place a garnish of fresh pomegranate seeds on top.
- If you find this celebrative wonder a bit too bold, you may wish to add a refreshing splash of ice cold Pellegrino or other mineral water to the top and stir gently.
Le Voov! Side Note: This cocktail can be made with a wide variety of fresh fruit or quality preserves such as apricots, persimmons, peaches, raspberries, tangelos or lemons. If using citrus, I would recommend muddling with fresh mint. Remember, have fun exploring and bottoms up!