Savory Wild Mushroom Soup 🍄 🍄 🍄
I developed this recipe after enjoying a non-cream based mushroom soup at a local restaurant recently. By eliminating the cream, the deep, earthy tones of the various mushrooms are easily detected on the palate. I also decided to use potato to thicken the broth, rather than wheat flour in an effort to make this a gluten free recipe, so our friends with wheat allergies may enjoy this rich, savory soup.
We often serve a small cup of this Voovacious soup with our Thanksgiving dinner!
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup coarsely chopped shallots
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ – 2 pounds fresh wild mushrooms (such as button, shiitake, oyster and crimini), coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh white sage
- 3 – 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 – 8 cups home-made turkey stock or low-salt, gluten free chicken broth
- 2 California Bay leaves
- 2 large organic russet potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks (if you are not using organic potatoes, then peel!)
- 1 bag (.88oz) dried mixed Mushroom Medley or 1 cup of dried mushrooms such as Porcini, hydrated
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 cup medium-dry sherry
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup minced Italian parsley or fresh chives (for garnish)
- ½ cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese (for garnish)
Place dried mushrooms in a measuring cup and cover with cooking sherry. Place into microwave and bring to a rolling boil. Remove and set aside to cool slowly. The mushrooms will need about 15 minutes to fully hydrate.
Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add shallots and onions, sauté for 1 minute. Add olive oil, fresh mushrooms, thyme, sage and garlic, sauté until mushrooms are golden, about 8 – 10 minutes. Turn off and let cool.
While mushrooms are cooking, place 4 cups of broth and bay leaves in stock pot and bring to a boil. Cut up potatoes and add to boiling broth, reducing heat to a slow simmer. Cook potatoes until tender when pricked with a fork, approx. 10 – 12 minutes. Add grated cheese to potatoes and broth, stirring until integrated. Turn off and let cool slightly.
Once fresh mushrooms, potatoes, cheese and broth have cooled to a manageable temperature, place all ingredients to a high-quality blender.
Le Voov! Words of Wisdom: After putting the lid on the blender, cover with a dish towel in case the soup attempts to decorate your kitchen walls and ceiling creatively….!
Working in batches, puree the soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to large pot and bring to a slow simmer.
Chop sherry-hydrated mushrooms into 1/8 inch pieces and combine into soup along with sherry and remaining stock. Season with salt and pepper, adjust seasonings to taste, and cook over medium heat to reduce to desired consistency, approx. 35 – 50 minutes. (Can be prepared 2 days in advance and refrigerated.)
Garnish with a few sautéed mushrooms, minced Italian parsley and freshly shaved Parmesan cheese.
Serve with a full-bodied red wine, rustic French bread and green salad.